Here is the description of the session from the Healthy Living Summit website:
- Social Media: Keeping Up With Online Trends
With the ever-changing climate of social media, it’s hard to know what’s “in” and what will help grow your blog audience. Heather Montgomery from Running with Sass describes ways to utilize social media in conjunction with your blog to help grow your readership. The main topics of discussion will focus on utilizing Facebook Fan Pages, Twitter, YouTube, Foursquare, and instagram.
The session starts at 3:30pm EST so be sure to check back here, I’ll be updating this post throughout the session!
You can also follow along on Twitter with the hash tag #HLSmedia. See you back here in a few hours!
3:35 – Ready to get started learning about social media!
3:38 – Social media users are up 19.2% from 2011
– social media integration for your blog: Use prominent sharing icons on your sidebar! (Heather uses Floating Social Media Icons plugin)
– add your twitter handle to your sharing!
3:40 – Use the Buffer app to schedule posts. It is easy – and free!
– you can also get a buffer extension to share posts on any site easily
– you can also see analytics for your tweets/posts right in Buffer
3:45 – 1.2 billion smart phones in the world
– 55% of Twitter traffic is mobile users, 54% of Facebook
3:47 – Facebook
– FYI – you don’t own the photos that you post on Facebook
– Facebook now has promoted pages, so not everyone actually even sees your post!
– Quality likes are important! Liking, sharing and comenting!
3:49 – Edgerank – Facebooks algorythm
– edges: video, comment, link, text
– videos have the most edge
– bigger isn’t always better. Quality likes are important!
– How to improve EdgeRank?
– ask questions
– Fill in the blanks
– every interaction is getting put into the algorythm
– comments are 4x more valuable than likes
3:55 – 90% of people who “like” your page will not return to it
– orange and red are popular colors to attract people
– Get your vanity URL for Facebook!
– Fill out your about me section with all of your relevant information
– Hike Tab Builder – lets you put tabs on your Facebook Fan Page – FREE!
4:00 – Facebook Insights
– you can filter posts and see what type is reaching the most people
– you can see demographics
– Facebook Pages App for iPhone
4:03 – Twitter
– Scheduling Tweets
– Twitter parties – great way to interact with other Twitter friends – gain new followers, maybe even win prizes!
– Mention your favorite brands in your tweets!
– Set posts to auto-post through WordPress
– Titles of posts are important. Make it catchy so people wil click through – but don’t be deceptive!
4:09 – Instagram
– 166% growth in under 4 months
– we love photos!
– integrate with Facebook and Twitter
– Use hashtags and mention brands for them to see
– brands are now using Instagram for campains
– use the same name on Twitter and Instagram so people know who you are!
4:12 – Foursquare
– safety first! Be weary of checking into places that you go ALL the time.
– more than just a “check-in”
– when you check in places that are “normal” (like going to the DMV) you seem like a real person
4:16 – You Tube
– Get personal with your readers
– people are getting lazy and don’t want to read a long block of text
– You can be anything that you want to be! Lots of opportunities
– it is much easier to make video than it has ever been before
4:18 – Google+
– You can format your posts
– Google+ events/hangouts
– integrate Facebook
– Shorten to vanity URL
4:30 – So now what
– get involved
– use your accounts consistantly
– have patience
– have fun and the numbers will increase
– don’t be afraid to ask for help! Heather would love to help you: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope you all enjoyed!