• Me

  • Welcome! My name is Kelly, and I am a picky eater. On this blog I share recipes, new (to me) foods, restaurants, and products that I try in an effort to expand my tastes. You might also find me talking about my pug Olive, Miss Kitty, Project Life, my journey with running, and more! Feel free to contact me: [email protected]

  • LINKwithlove

Tomato Basil Salmon

Full Disclosure: I was given some seasoning mixes from McCormick Spices to try.  Even though the product was free to me, the opinions are completely my own and I am not being compensated for this post. 

When it comes to making meals, 98% of the time I need to have a recipe to follow or I am lost. (The other 2% of the meals are sandwiches, boxed macaroni, and frozen pizza.)  Even if I am just making baked fish, or stir fry, or even pancakes, I need a recipe or at the very least a more knowledgable friend that I can frantically gChat with for recipe ideas. I can’t just make things up as I go like some people can. I need to know the proportions, and what spices to use, and how long to cook it.. Because of that, it is much easier for me to eat things that are no brainers like frozen pizza, or boxed macaroni, or a bagel.  Now, I wouldn’t say that eating this things on occasion is super unhealthy, but eating the as often as I do is probably not the healthiest.  Through making different recipes and finding different foods that I like, it has become easier for me to make different things – but I am definitely not to the point yet where I can just throw some herbs and spices on meat and make it work.  I would like to eat healthier, but sometimes convenience and urgency are priority.


When I got an email from McCormick sharing some of their new products and recipes, there was something that caught my eye: their seasoning mixes. I saw them and immediately thought that they could really help me out with making meals easier! We had actually had salmon that evening for dinner and it was a bit of a struggle to make it as simply as possible without any kind of recipe – that was when frantically gChatting came in handy! I looked into the seasoning mixes a bit more and I noticed that they were all natural, and the ingredients list looked good, it wasn’t just loaded with salt and preservatives, so I asked McCormick if I could try them and they sent me some samples.


Last week I made Tomato Basil Salmon using their seasoning mix.  It was incredibly easy! You just have to brush the fish with oil, coat it in the seasoning, and put it in the oven to bake – definitely easy enough for a weeknight meal!


I’m not sure I’ve ever had a salmon with a tomato based seasoning mix, but I kinda liked it.  It was pretty different than other salmon I’ve had – usually I go for more of a garlic and butter flavor – but it was good, and I actually liked that it was not just the same thing that I am used to eating.  I really liked that there were some breadcrumbs in the seasoning mix so it had a bit of a crunchy texture.

While these seasoning mixes might seem ridiculous and unnecessary to some people, but I feel like they are really helpful.  For weeknight meals, I usually need something that involves very little thinking.  If this fish involved me coming up with the spices I should be using, or following some complicated recipe, I’m not sure my brain would be able to handle it after a full day of work.  This seasoning mix makes it easier to eat a healthy meal without much thinking; it isn’t any more difficult that making a box of macaroni and cheese.

Are you the type of person that can just come up with a recipe off the top of your head,
or do you need a recipe to follow?

One Response

  1. I usually follow a recipe but I can also get away with throwing some spices on a piece of chicken and calling it a day. But by “spices” I mean the Montreal Chicken Seasoning from Costco lol I need to check out those McCormick packets, I love anything that’s easy and quick!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: